- Ph.D. in Environmental Resources (Wood Biology), Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan, 2001
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Sciences (Plant Anatomy), University of Forestry, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1992
- M.S. in Forestry, Higher Institute of Forestry, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1986
- Anatomical analysis of plant structure and development (cambial activity and wood formation; cambium, wood and bark anatomy; wood structure in relation to permeability to gas and liquid, three-dimensional visualization of plant cell and tissue structure by confocal microscopy and resin-casting with SEM, structure and morphogenesis of plantspropagated in vitro and from cuttings through rooting or grafting).
- Microscopy (conventional light microscopy, fluorescence and confocal laser scanning microscopy (CLSM), conventional scanning electron microscopy (SEM), image acquisition and analysis).
POSITIONS (PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE)
June 1, 2007 – Present: Department of Wood Science and Engineering
Oregon State University, Corvallis OR 97331, USA.
June 1, 2007 – Present: Laboratory for wood biology and xylarium, Royal Museum for Central Africa, Leuvense steenweg 13, B-3080
April 2004 – May 31 2007: Institute of Wood Technology, Akita Prefectural University Akita-ken, Noshiro-shi, 016-0876, Japan
Nov 1, 2003 – March 31: Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences, 1-1 Ohwashi, Tsukuba Science City, Ibaraki, 305-8686, Japan
Researcher, Forestry Division
Nov 1, 2001 – Nov 1, 2003: Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute (FFPRI), Tsukuba Science City, Ibaraki, Japan
Post-doctoral researcher, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS).
1995 - 2001: Laboratory of Wood Biology, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Research assistant, Ph.D. student, Monbusho (Japanese Ministry of Education, Science and Culture) Fellowship.
1994 - 1995: Department of Dendrology, University of Forestry, Sofia, Bulgaria
Senior Assistant Professor of botany.
1990 - 1994: Department of Dendrology, University of Forestry, Sofia, Bulgaria, Assistant Professor of botany.
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- Marie Curie Outgoing International Fellowship, European Commission (2007 – 2010).
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship (2001 – 2003)
- Graduate School of Agriculture, Hokkaido University Fellowship (2000)
- Monbusho (Japanese Ministry of Education, Science and Culture) Fellowship (1995 – 1999)
- Visiting researcher Grant, Royal Museum for Central Africa, Tervuren, Belgium (July - Sept 1993, July - Sept 1994)
- Doctoral Fellowship, Bulgarian Ministry of Education (1987 – 1991)